Monday 7 September 2015

NG 671

New game 671 is now available.


Round 1: R E A F E P I D B

I had FEAR, FEARED, BRIEFED / DEBRIEF, and wondered about FIREPAD (not valid).

The other sevens available are BEADIER / BEARDIE ("a variety of sheepdog with very long hair; bearded collie").

My selection: DEBRIEF


Round 2: C O B A O S N T I

I had COOS, BACON, BACONS, ACTIONS / CATIONS, OBTAINS / BASTION, TOBASCO, and lamented that BACONIST was not a thing.  After time I saw BOTANIC, and checked up on BOTANICS.  It turns out to be valid, as BOTANIC has a noun sense as a synonym for BOTANICAL ("a crude drug made from part of a plant, as the bark, roots, etc.").

BOTANICS is the only eight.  The remaining sevens are BONITOS (BONITO: "any of several fishes belonging to the tuna family [...]") and ATONICS (ATONIC: "an unaccented word, syllable, or sound").

My selection: ACTIONS
Best: BOTANICS


Round 3: Target 457 from 100 50 25 8 1 6

The standard method applies easily enough; I went with 457 = 6*(50 + 25) + 8 - 1.

My selection: 457 = 6*(50 + 25) + 8 - 1


Round 4: R S G E N Z A J E

I had an uncertain REGS (not valid -- REG is only listed as an abbreviation, with a period, so cannot be allowed), RANGES, and ENRAGES.

The other seven is JAEGERS (JAEGER being a type of bird).

My selection: ENRAGES


Round 5: S P N M O E A E D

I had MOPS, MOPES, DEMEANS, and DAEMONS.

The other sevens are DAMPENS, MASONED, POMADES, and DEPONES (DEPONE: "to give testimony") / SPONDEE ("Prosody a metrical foot consisting of two long syllables or two heavy beats").

My selection: DEMEANS


Round 6: Target 155 from 75 100 25 1 8 6

I put aside the 6 and 1 for the offset of 5, then solved the rest to get 155 = 100 + 75 - 25 + 6 - 1.

My selection: 155 = 100 + 75 - 25 + 6 - 1


Round 7: R M E O U A L R D

I had MORE, AMOUR, MORALE, MORULAE (plural of MORULA: "the mass of cells, supposedly resembling a mulberry, resulting from the cleavage of the ovum before the formation of a blastula"), MODULAR, and ROULADE.  After time I noted MOULDER as another seven, and some time later spotted the eight of DEMURRAL.

The other eight in this mix is ARMOURED.  The other sevens are ARMORED, REMOULD, RUMORED, EARDRUM, EARLDOM, MORULAR (adjective derived from MORULA), and RUDERAL ("growing near human habitations in waste places").

My selection: MODULAR
Best: DEMURRAL


Round 8: Target 920 from 75 100 50 1 1 2

Ergh, horrible small numbers.  The best I could do was 900 = (2 + 1 + 1)*(100 + 75 + 50).

It came as little surprise that 900 is the closest that one can get to the target.

My selection: [not in range]


Round 9: REPAIR GUN

After pulling out the -ING the remaining letters spelled PARURE.  I recalled that UPREAR was an anagram of it, giving the nine of UPREARING.

My selection: UPREARING (5.4s)

5 comments:

Mike Backhouse said...

BRIEFED
BOAST and BASTION just over
(8+1)*50+6=456 (1 off)
SANGER
SOAPED
100+75-25+6-1=155
MARRED
x out of range, only got to 900 by multiplying the large numbers by the smalls.
x

Sam G said...

1. FEARED. Nice, Mike.
2. ACTIONS
3. 457 = (50+25)*6 + 8 - 1
4. ENRAGES
5. DAEMONS/OEDEMAS
6. 155 = 100 + 75 - 25 + 6 - 1
7. ARMOURED
8. Couldn't get closer than 900 (other than 912.5).
9. 31.4S - UPREARING

Geoff Bailey said...

Sam: Nice work to find ARMOURED, but OEDAMAS is not considered a valid plural by the Macquarie -- it gives the plural form as OEDAMATA only.

Sam G said...

OEDAMAS or OEDEMAS?

Geoff Bailey said...

Bleah, yes, careless typos from me. I meant to say that OEDEMAS is not valid, with OEDEMATA being the only plural form given.